Recent Posts

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Top Chef: Harris.












Tonight in our main dining hall our Student Activities Committee organized a first annual Top Chef competition for our college. Let me preface this story with an incredibly conceited comment: I would have kicked ass at this competition.


Firstly, I am just a competitive person. It is in my nature, something I've just grown to accept about myself. I do not fall down in the face of challenge. I either rise above or throw an angry-two-year-old-who-lost-a-game-of-candyland fit. Not one of the better parts of me, I'll admit; however, it does mean that I wouldn't have given up easily in a cooking competition. Not just because losing would be truly embarrassing, but because losing at something I love to do would be simply out of the question.

Secondly, I love Top Chef. I have seen every episode of every season. I would cut off an arm to marry Kevin Gillespie from Top Chef: D.C. (season 6).  Not just for his jolly smile and flaming red hair, but because of his love of bacon (he was my inspiration for trying chocolate covered bacon, which may sound gross but is exceptionally delicious) and kick ass cooking abilities. After watching that season, I vowed to take a road trip to Atlanta, GA to eat at his restaurant Woodfire Grill (and then take advantage of my location in Georgia and swing by Savannah for some good eats at Paul Deen's restaurant the Lady&Sons). It will happen, but I digress...

Thirdly, I always try to make meals at Harris interesting and colorful. So much of the time, college students are stuck eating the fried, bland, and unhealthy options that are served on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the only source of color usually comes from the salad bar. Don't get me wrong, I love a good salad, but it isn't something that a crave all the time, especially when it is the same combination of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and green peppers. That gets old fast. Where is all the seasonal produce?Where are all the cooked vegetables? Where are the good breads? Where are the lean meats? 

It is a problem, I am not going to lie; however, it's a problem that has inspired many a good dish and a lot of ingenuity. (A few tips for college students out there trying to survive in a college cafeteria are at the bottom of this post). Basically I consider every meal in Harris a Top Chef challenge, so I would have been more than ready to enter this competition. But I didn't. They made the kids wear chef hats, and one girl actually got shoved to the ground by someone competing. That is just not my idea of a good time on a Wednesday night.

That didn't keep me from thinking of what I would have made if I had been competing, so I thought I would list the recipes below, perhaps they'll inspire some college student creativity...

ENTRÉE: Chicken or fish taco with fresh cucumber salsa and toasted tortilla.
I didn't actually make this, because I only thought of it after I had eaten an egg sandwich, but I really want to and will in the future. (Keep in mind I would have had to work with what my cafeteria offered...)

For the meat - I was hoping for some nice grilled fish, but all I would have had was the fried fish offered at the fry cook station. When I thought about it though, I realized that by taking some of the breading off the fried fish, I actually would have had some really juicy, flavorful fish for the taco. Yet, leaning towards thinking healthy, I would have ended up slicing some of the grilled chicken.

For the Salsa - Simply chop up some cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, pepper, corn, and garlic (if you can find it). Toss all the veggies together with some olive oil and lemon juice and then season with salt, red pepper flakes, and dill.

For the Tortilla - Really pretty straight forward, just toast a tortilla or wrap. You could also fill the tortilla with the meat and salsa and then place it under the panini maker for a bit. I also thought it would be nice to fill a toasted whole wheat pita with the chicken and salsa. Just keeping the options open. 

Combine all the ingredients in the toasted tortilla or pita add some cheese and your set to go!

FOR DESSERT: Toasted pumpkin bread with vanilla, cinnamon-raisin ice cream.
This would be a little trickier for other college students to make, I was just lucky enough to have pumpkin bread available to me that evening.

Mix in a bowl about a cup of vanilla ice cream, some cinnamon, and a tablespoon of raisins. Then leave the bowl (guarding it carefully) in the freezer to refreeze while you are working on the other components.

Take a piece of pumpkin bread and toast it. Right after taking it from the toaster spread a thin layer of butter on top and toss some cinnamon sugar on top.

Scoop the raisin ice-cream on to the warm bread and then garnish with a little whipped cream. Enjoy!

I wouldn't actually know what it looked like because this girl jumped ahead in line at the dessert station and took the very last piece of pumpkin bread. The worst part, she made this face like "I don't actually want this, but I guess I'll take it anyway." As Liz Lemon would say, "Blurg."

But if I had made it, I so would have dominated...
-Kate

CAFETERIA TIPS FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS:
1.) Get to know your surroundings. Yes, there is always going to be the pizza station, the burger station, and the pasta station. But there are other options like sandwiches and eggs that are more nutritious and can break up fried food monotony.

2.) The toaster is your friend! Almost every cafeteria will have a toaster or panini grill available to students, take advantage of that! Trying to find something healthy? Pass on the fries, toast some whole wheat bread and enjoy it with a sliced banana and some peanut butter!

3.)Don't be afraid to be creative and experiment with what you have available. It is totally possible to enjoy something like this (picture and actual recipe from sevenspoons, one of my favorite blogs)...

Simply ask for an egg over easy at your eggs to order station. Toast an english muffin, lay on some butter, bean spouts and spinach (or another hearty green from your salad bar station), season with salt and pepper (its also nice with some hot pepper flakes or oregano which can usually be found among the salad dressings) and your good to go. If you are looking for even more protein, as I usually am because I don't particularly enjoy the "meat" they serve on the hot food line, try to find some bacon bits or ask the fry cook to heat up some sandwich ham. This delicious mix of eggs, bread, greens, and pork will keep you satisfied for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Plus it's colorful to boot!

4.) Mix it up! Cereal doesn't always have to be eaten at breakfast. Veggies aren't just a side dish for dinner. It is perfectly acceptable to eat a meaty stew and then want some grapefruit slices you saw at the fruit station. Eat what you want when you crave it! It's college for heaven's sake, when else are you going to be able to!?

5.) Let your voices be heard. Not finding enough stuff you actually like to eat? Too much fried and not enough steamed? Talk to the kitchen staff. Their job is to feed you, so they want to provide you things you are going to like. I don't suggest screaming at them, or saying you hate what they've been making; however, suggesting something that you would really like to see added to the menu is the first step towards actually receiving it.

6.) Don't beat yourself up for indulging in pizza or ice cream every once in a while. Sometimes it really is unavoidable. That is okay! Just keep nutrition in mind, and don't rely on the whole "there isn't anything healthy for me to eat here" routine. There are good things hidden amongst the fried mess, you just have to work a little harder to find them. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment